Settlement site on the west bank of the Nile opposite Luxor situated in a bay in the cliffs midway between the Ramesseum and Medinet Habu. The village of Deir El-Medina was inhabited by the workmen who built the royal tombs in the VALLEY OF THE KINGS between the early 18th Dynasty and the late Ramesside period (c. 1550-1069). The site also incorporated the tombs of the workmen as well as a temple dedicated to various gods, which was founded in the reign of Amenhotep III (1390-1352 BC) and almost completely rebuilt in the reign of Ptolemy IV (221-205 BC). Deir El Medina was excavated by Ernesto Schiaparelli from 1905 to 1909 and by Bernard Bruyere between 1917 and 1947
There is currently no content classified with this term.